Many RuuviTag users could benefit an easy to use gateway which would enable reliable sensor data routing and logging.
We’ve been looking for suitable simple and super reliable WiFi-BLE gateways for a long time but have found no proper options which we could nicely bundle with RuuviTags. The problem we’ve faced pretty much with every gateway is that they even have no certifications, bad antennas or they’re too expensive.
So, seems that it’s better to build one
We have been brainstorming this idea a while and now we would like to ask for your feedback. Here are some proposed specs:
Preliminary Technical Specs:
- USB dongle form
- WiFi connectivity
- Bluetooth Low Energy reception
- High-sensitivity BLE (and WiFi) antenna to maximise RuuviTags’ range - this is important!
- Integrated sensors
- Expansion port - add more sensors
- LEDs (or a tiny OLED display) - instant package reception feedback from nearby RuuviTags
We already have some ideas of which parts to use on the board but we would also like hear if you’ve suggestions to share. What kind of features you would like to have?
Preliminary Software Specs:
- Arduino/Python/etc SDKs - Allow easy firmware hacking
- Ruuvi MQTT server
- Server keeps the most recent data available
- Ruuvi Station mobile apps and 3rd party services can request data from the server
Just like with the hardware, we would be happy to receive feedback also about the software side. I also welcome @otso to tell more about the software ideas we have.
Note: Even it looks like a USB dongle that would normally need a computer to work, normal operation requires only USB power!