Ruuvi Connector system

We receive every now and then feedback about how to connect external sensors to RuuviTag.

Connecting external wires to the GPIO pins has been possible from the day one. But it has required soldering. And without decent gear and soldering skills it hasn’t been always an easy task. And even if it would be trivial, it would still take time to make it right and look pretty.

Now it’s finally time to fix this issue.

Today, we announce the upcoming Ruuvi Connector system:

Ruuvi Connector is a standardised expansion connector and cable system that takes sensor prototyping to the next level. Compatible connectors will be found on many upcoming Ruuvi products.

Ruuvi Connector cables have 8 pins (6 signals + VDD + GND). This allows using not just simple I2C sensors but also more powerful SPI sensors with interrupt signals.

Ruuvi Connector is also compatible with 4-pin (2 signals + VDD + GND) prototyping systems such as Seeed Studio Grove and Sparkfun Qwiic. Adapter cables will be made available later.

Many ways to use Ruuvi Connector system

1. Connect compatible external boards and sensors to your Ruuvi products
  2. Design your own expansion boards
  3. Feed your battery powered Ruuvi product from an external power source
  4. Add a Ruuvi Connector compatible connector on your own product and make it compatible with all the external Ruuvi / Grove / Qwiic sensors.

The latest specs will be found on GitHub:

9 Likes

Great news. Do you plan to add the connector to RuuviTags too please?

Yes. We’re working with a slightly updated board design that’ll incorporate a Ruuvi Connector :innocent:

5 Likes

Any news on when this will be available on RuuviTags? :drooling_face:

No exact schedule yet but it’s coming :santa: Other new products are also coming soon™. Busy times…

2 Likes

Hey guys! I have just pushed our first Ruuvi Connector design and some specs on GitHub. Find it here:

All comments are welcome. Let’s discuss!

Sounds great, when will You have the actual new tags (or whatever) out supporting this add on board? I´ll hold my breath and will not order more tags for now… Actually I came to Your shop to see if You would have reasonable pricing for 2477. They are a bit pricey and postage in Finland for some reason around 10+e which is a bit awkard.

Ruuvi Gateway will have Ruuvi Connector ports. Also a new RuuviTag revision is coming but its mass produce schedule is still open. We will share more info when available.

Hi, is connector available for Ruuvitags?

Regards