Collecting RuuviTag measurements and displaying them with Grafana

Hi Ruuvi-guys!
The Grafana-system in Raspi is working great. Thanks for the ready-made package!

I wanted to change the collection intervall (to 2 mins) for the Influx and I dropped the “ruuvi-collector.properties” file into same folder with the “ruuvi-collector-0.1.jar”. Then I uncommented “influxUrlBase=http://localhost:8086”, influxDatabase=ruuvi" and “influxUpdateLimit=120000”. After that I restarted Grafana (sudo service grafana-server restart), but still the Influx collects measurements with 10 seconds intervalls. Do you have any idea, what I am doing wrong?

When you edit (or add) RuuviCollector configs, you need to restart the RuuviCollector application, not Grafana. :slight_smile: In the current version of the RPi image this can be done with sudo service ruuvicollector restart after you have your new config in place. If you modify Grafana settings (located in /etc/grafana/grafana.ini ) then you need to restart Grafana.

Ough, how can a man be so lowbrow… :roll_eyes:. Thank you Scrin for your clarification - and patience!

Hey everyone, I’m trying to setup the RuuviCollector application as shown here but am stuck at the installation stage where we “Run the built JAR-file with java -jar ruuvi-collector-.jar. ". I get "Error: Unable to access jarfile ruuvi-collector-.jar”. Would greatly appreciate your help!

Did you download the collector from the Releases tab, or are you trying to build the collector locally from sources?

I will create a “normal” installation package that sets the collector up as a service, but that’s not yet done. Downloading the pre-built .jar file from the Releases tab is easier until then, if you are unsure which way to go.

Until there’s a service in place, it’s also recommended to run the collector inside screen to keep it from terminating then the terminal session ends. on a Debian based distribution (like Raspbian or Ubuntu) you can install screen with sudo apt install screen

After you have installed screen and downloaded the jarfile (at the moment latest version is 0.2), you can start it in a screen with: screen -S collector java -jar ruuvi-collector-0.2.jar (note that you need to be in the same directory as the .jar file) (the -S flag for screen gives the screen session a human-readable name) you can safely detach the screen session after opening it with Ctrl + A + D. To access the screen later on (for example to see if the collector has printed any logs), you can attach the screen session again with screen -rd collector (collector is the friendly name of the screen session we started earlier).

Alternatively if you are using a graphical environment, you can just leave a terminal window open there, where you run java -jar ruuvi-collector-0.2.jar (if you downloaded version 0.2)

I would like to create a similar setup to my virtual machine what the rpi image provides. Are the sources, documentation or instructions available somewhere? I can of course just take the image and start looking around.

The RPi image basically contains just the three pieces of software mentioned on the 1st post, with minimal changes to their default settings, and a few other pieces of software ie. Telegraf not relevant for collecting or showing the measurements.

To recreate that on a different environment, do the following:

• Install InfluxDB
  • (optional) Set up authentication and create users for InfluxDB
  • Install Grafana
  • (optional) Configure Grafana settings, ie. enable “guest mode” (/etc/grafana/grafana.ini)
  • Configure a new InfluxDB-datasource for Grafana (in the Grafana UI after logging in as admin, recommended to change the admin password as well)
  • Install RuuviCollector dependencies and RuuviCollector itself (refer to the github page for more details, for now you need to start the collector manually or create your own startup/service script as those are not yet included)
  • Create/edit dashboards on Grafana as you like, you should be getting real data by now

If you don’t need authentication for InfluxDB (you trust the network and the VM), everything should work straight out of the box with the default configurations

2 Likes

Sorry for a possibly moronic question, but is Grafana supposed to run “out of the box”, even with no Ruuvitags around and no data in the database yet? :wink:
I just bought a Pi 3, installed your image, the Pi starts up, is visible on the network and accepts SSH connections, but when I go to “http://192.168.1.11/” Apache says "Service Unavailable. The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."
Could it be because the Collector hasn’t processed a single message yet and has not initialized the db? All my Ruuvitags are now 50 kms away from me but I would like to set up as much as possible before I reunite with them after tomorrow ;)))

The original “RPi image” is far from polished, and one of the few “issues” is that Grafana is not starting automatically. You can enable the automatic startup with sudo systemctl enable grafana-server

Grafana can be started manually with for example sudo systemctl start grafana-server

Note that it will take a moment for Apache to realize Grafana is up after it has been started

1 Like

Thanks so much - it started instantly!
Another issue with the image, as I can see, is that the version of RuuviCollector is not the latest, I will try to update it now by replacing with the current files.

That’s correct, the image is really old :slight_smile: there’s some discussion earlier in this thread about updating it and what it involves, for example the configuration options have changed significantly since then

I think I’ll update the image at the same time with the support of new raw protocol. :thinking:

That would be nice if you can do that :thinking: I need to finish the format 5 support on the collector first though, I’ll try get it done this weekend

Updated image is now available at Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RdZ1wKPMf6qorlZnzqlGnOYXVEGQQYsE

3 Likes

Just wanted to say huge thanks to Scrin and the Ruuvi team for making an easy-to-implement all-inclusive solution to weather data logging and presenting! Took me literally minutes to set up and get running after spending weeks (and finally giving up) on AWS IoT with its incredibly steep learning curve.

2 Likes

What has been changed when comparing to previous version?

Glad you haven’t abandoned this! I tried pulling the latest collector from Git but the outcome was not that great.

I will start again with the new release, let’s see how well that goes.

L

RuuviCollector has been updated and it supports upcoming raw format 2. Additionally packages are updated, old image needed some 800 MB of updates after boot.

Can post a check sum for the img file inside the zip?

I tried twice downloading the zip from Drive, unzipped in Windows, got some errors during decompress and then a kernel panic after flashing in Etcher.

L

ojousima$ md5 raspberrypi.img 
MD5 (raspberrypi.img) = 22f10d4bf0d4f0e5091011e6b6089d27
ojousima$