Collecting RuuviTag measurements and displaying them with Grafana

The original ā€œRPi imageā€ is far from polished, and one of the few ā€œissuesā€ is that Grafana is not starting automatically. You can enable the automatic startup with sudo systemctl enable grafana-server

Grafana can be started manually with for example sudo systemctl start grafana-server

Note that it will take a moment for Apache to realize Grafana is up after it has been started

1 Like

Thanks so much - it started instantly!
Another issue with the image, as I can see, is that the version of RuuviCollector is not the latest, I will try to update it now by replacing with the current files.

Thatā€™s correct, the image is really old :slight_smile: thereā€™s some discussion earlier in this thread about updating it and what it involves, for example the configuration options have changed significantly since then

I think Iā€™ll update the image at the same time with the support of new raw protocol. :thinking:

That would be nice if you can do that :thinking: I need to finish the format 5 support on the collector first though, Iā€™ll try get it done this weekend

Updated image is now available at Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RdZ1wKPMf6qorlZnzqlGnOYXVEGQQYsE

3 Likes

Just wanted to say huge thanks to Scrin and the Ruuvi team for making an easy-to-implement all-inclusive solution to weather data logging and presenting! Took me literally minutes to set up and get running after spending weeks (and finally giving up) on AWS IoT with its incredibly steep learning curve.

2 Likes

What has been changed when comparing to previous version?

Glad you havenā€™t abandoned this! I tried pulling the latest collector from Git but the outcome was not that great.

I will start again with the new release, letā€™s see how well that goes.

L

RuuviCollector has been updated and it supports upcoming raw format 2. Additionally packages are updated, old image needed some 800 MB of updates after boot.

Can post a check sum for the img file inside the zip?

I tried twice downloading the zip from Drive, unzipped in Windows, got some errors during decompress and then a kernel panic after flashing in Etcher.

L

ojousima$ md5 raspberrypi.img 
MD5 (raspberrypi.img) = 22f10d4bf0d4f0e5091011e6b6089d27
ojousima$

Not an expert but are you sure you are running it on Raspberry Pi 3? I see references to bcm2835 and bcm2836 in your screenshot but Pi3 is based on bcm2837 and Iā€™m not sure the binaries are 100% compatible. Just off the top of my head, may be completely off.

Thanks, I confirm the integrity but I have to wait until Monday to try flashing and running the image.

Itā€™s 3b, but at least the previous version of the image worked just fine with the same procedure and same 16 gb SD card.

New challenge, the unzipped image is a tad larger than 16 GB SD card allows. Need to reformat the card to see if the volume can be tweaked

The card I used was ā€œofficial Raspberry NOOBs 16 GBā€. If the image wonā€™t fit into your card, I can take a look into shrinking the filesystem by a few hundred MB

Hi guys. We would like to make the official Raspberry Pi logger image super easy to use also for beginners. This is the plan (copypaste from its upcoming tutorial):

"There are several ways to explore the history. Starting from the easiest and the quickest one

1) Using a computer or a mobile phone, establish a connection to a WiFi access point named Ruuvi Logger (password = ruuvilogger). Once connected, surf to: http://ruuvi.logger"

Would someone be interested to help?

Basically what is needed:

1. Make the RPi to act as a WiFi access point
  2. Install a DHCP server (?) so that user can type ruuvi.logger instead of 192.168.0.1 or something
1 Like

HI, just got my first tag and it they are cool. I tried Otsoā€™s latest image and phase some problems.
First win10 did not unzip the package but I success with Linux and made installation card, but butā€¦ I was not able to get it runningā€¦ I am sure I missed something. I read this page through several time and the result was not working.
I will try again tomorrow but few questions:
I understand grafana must be started but how other services? Are those up&running automatic?

Sorry for stupid questions but I have to make this running in my rasp, this is so nice stuff.

Hello, latest image is for Raspberry Pi 3 and it should be good to go without additional configuration.
I think that every link is updated to point to google drive, if you find one pointing to Jenkins.ruuvi.com please let me know and Iā€™ll fix it.