Ruuvitag vertical positioning, moisture and cover hole

Hello,

If I want to position Ruuvitag vertically or “sideways” outdoors, which way should I position it to prevent moisture from getting in and staying inside Ruuvitag?

If I position the hole downwards and rain comes, water cannot get into the Ruuvitag’s cover as easily as it could from the top position, but if there is moisture, will it evaporate from “bottom” hole?

If I position the hole upwards, the cover probably “breaths” better, but will it eventually be filled with water (moisture) after some time in rain or heavy humidity?

Hello,

If the hole is upwards, water can pool on top of the hole and eventually sink through. The tag is rated for 30 minutes of submersion, it is fine when installed sideways. I didn’t find definitive answer about bottom orientation, but according to https://www.gore.com/resources/faq-for-gore-protective-vents# FAQ 27 it should ok as long as the vent is not blocked accidentally.

hey, I can provide little bit of real life experience.
I live in Brisbane - Australia. Summer humidity is … subtropical same with temperatures.

I have ruuvi tag on a garden bed, where it’s currently reporting 60C at 13:00. We do have a lot of torrential rain (80mm in 30min), etc.
I have it there over 10months now.

As the tag is laying on the garden bed under slight angle, the pond of water in the breathing hole has not become a problem. Maybe the reason might be that the temperature is above 16C, so the water does not stay for long.
I have never find any moisture inside the enclosure. It’s very well design and sealed and Gore vent does it’s job to keep it dry.

I would suggest to mount it vertically with exposed pressure compensation membrane.
Good luck

1 Like

Hi, real life experience from North 61N 023E
I have the tag attached to my northern wall now for 4 years. The back of the tag facing the wall without no cover and no issues with moisture getting in to the tag. In my greenhouse I use it whole side facing down. No issues.
Only problem is that insects and birds have an interest to the hole in the cover and they have pushed it in twice… so additional cover is needed. Tag has been out for some months without the coverin membrane with no moisture inside.
For the humidi measurements the accuracy is not so good, approx 10% less when doing 75% calibration and deviation between approx 5%.
Anothrer phenomena is that when the weather changes to freezing (-10C or less) humidity stays in 100%, likely due the BME surface getting frost ?

2 Likes