Ruuvitag memory?

hi, does ruuvitag store measurements into a local memory that can be read later (when I come home from work, or whatever) with the mobile phone app?
or is it the case that if nobody is listening to the BLE then the data is just lost??

seems kind of an important FAQ that I didn’t find quick answers to on the ruuvi.com ad-pages…

thanks!

Hey @awallin. No. RuuviTag does not store data. It only broadcasts.

The feature is on our todo list and may be added later to Ruuvi Station and RuuviTag.

However, it will be most likely a lot of work to make the sync feature work flawlessly. We’ve seen how even large corporations have had severe syncing issues with their Bluetooth products and mobile apps. There are more than 7000 Android phone models to support…

I just released a blog post about the latest product launch. The working principle is briefly explained over there:

Also, it is explained on product descriptions in our webstore.

More info also here:

And here:

Hey, any update on this?

When I got my Ruuvitag I was actually surprised that it doesn’t store the measurements in memory.
And even a little disappointed that I can’t see the data of the time when I’m not at home and my phone can’t poll the tag.
Even when I’m at home I might be in a different room and have no connection to the tag for some time, and again I can’t see that data.
Another use case that I wanted to try is to track the temperature in my cellar. There, I don’t have internet and I’ll only go there with my phone every couple of days maybe.
Other people have asked for this as well.

So I believe it would be super nice if the tag would just store historical data (maybe one measurement per minute, so it can store data for multiple days). The phone can then ask the tag for any recordings since the last check.

It sounds like the devil is in the details and the implementation sounds complex.
But I believe it would be a really great addition to this fabulous piece of hardware!

We certainly are finding the best ways to implement this feature among other new cool features. A lot is happening behind the scenes right now :innocent:

Hi,
Any update on this? I have just ordered ruuvi tag and was expecting at least 24h logging into the device itself?

@Joona_Hook

So if I understood correct the hardware does have memory where it saves data and I would need beta version of the phone app to access this? Any estimate when this is available on Android?

Yes, you understood correctly.
We’re currently planning the Android development as well as ironing out the bugs in logging firmware, so it’s not possible to give exact schedule yet.

Awesome, can’t wait. Thanks!

Wow, that’s awesome. It’s great to see such an important feature coming to ruuvitag! :slight_smile:

As a follow-up, logging is already supported on both iOS and Android. You’ll need to update to beta firmware 3.29.3 available at https://lab.ruuvi.com/dfu/ to use logging.

Please note that Espruino and Eddystone firmwares aren’t compatible after the update, but you can update to future 3.x firmwares.

Thanks!
In the release notes it says IOS only so far, but you mention Android as well?

Beware 3.29.3 with iOS.

I was able to sync logs from the RuuviTag with 3.28.13 on iOS but after upgrading to 3.29.3 the syncing stopped working. Android syncing still worked, with both 3.28.13 and 3.29.3.

Downgrading to 3.28.13 with iOS resolved the syncing problem. There are, however, some gaps in the logs, too. I have no idea why.

Yeah, we need to update the DFU page. Thanks for the heads-up.

It works on our desks :slight_smile: We’ll figure out which iPhones are affected and why.

Mine is iPhone 8. I upgraded to iOS 14.3 two days ago. My RuuviTag sync problems were with the previous iOS version (iOS 14.2?).

I have not tried RuuviTag 3.29.3 with iOS 14.3.

I currently run 0.6.1(20) on iOS and 1.4.18 on Android. I updated the Android App today from an earlier version. Both sync. It is not easy to compare the synced files because I do not use the Android phone all the time, and I do not sync either phone regularly. Still, on iOS there are some unexplained gaps in measurements, within the time that should have been covered by the syncing.

I’m on a Pocophone F1, Android 10
Seems to work good so far :slight_smile: thanks!
I’ll be tracking the humidity in the basement of a new apartment to decide what can be stored there.
Is there a place for feature requests or can we use this thread?

Hi,

feedback.ruuvi.com is a good place to collect feature requests. We take a look at the top voted features when we’re thinking about what to do next :slight_smile:

Great, I already up voted dewpoint information there :slight_smile:
About the history function though I have a question: how is it intended to work? At the moment (3.29.3) the ruuvi keeps its historical data even after I downloaded it, is that intentional? I’d expect it to clear its stored data once downloaded.
Also sometimes I have to clear the apps data in order for the download to work, is there a place (and desire) for feedback on beta development?

This is intentional, data is stored in a ring buffer where old data gets erased once space runs out. Mobile apps request only data which they don’t already have.

Feedback is always welcome, this is why we have beta :slight_smile:

On iOS app @Rinat and on Android app @Denis_Andreev are the best persons to contact about issues, you can reach them in our forums and slack. GitHub issues are also good, those let you track what happens to issues.

GitHub - ruuvi/com.ruuvi.station.ios: iOS Ruuvi Station for iOS issues and
GitHub - ruuvi/com.ruuvi.station for Android issues.