RuuviBerry for Raspberry Pi 4?

Iā€™m actually talking about the wireless antenna. This version of Raspbian has issues with the wireless. Some components may be missing or improperly configured IMHO

:crazy_face:

Happy to share that I successfully deployed on a Pi4 using Ubuntu Mate 20.04 and the instructions in Otsoā€™s blog post, even though Ubuntu Mate is far more than is needed and a tad slow on a Pi4 with 4 GB.

I also got most everything to run under Ubuntu Mate 18.04 on a 3B+. Ubuntu Mate 20.04 seemed to brick it on the first re-start (when itā€™s trying to expand the filesystem I guess), hence the switch to 18.04. But there must be something wrong with the bluetooth antenna on my 3B+ because I could get no data, even with hcidump --raw. Further confusing is that when I used the minimal ā€œlatestā€ ruuviberry image I was able to get data via hcidump --raw, but that data was accessible neither through influx locally (issuing the command resulted in no response but also no return to command line) nor via the hotspot and Grafana (Grafana reported being connected to the InfluxDB server and listed the mac addresses of my tags, but no data showed in the graphs).

Any insights into the oddities of my attempts with the 3B+ would be welcome.

PS I ordered a Pi4 8 GB and will run Ubuntu Mate 20.04 there as well and just see how many bluetooth sensors I can log data from, either by extending ruuviCollector or by using ttuā€™s python implementation, before the Pi4 slows to a crawl.

Update: I tried to run Ubuntu 20.04 Mate on the Pi4 8GB, but there is an issue with the boot, at least for the out of the box 8GB Pi4. Others have apparently also discovered this and there may be a fix by updating the EEPROM firmware, but I havenā€™t tried it yet. I would love to hear about anyone elseā€™s experience here?

Anyway I got things up and running using Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) with desktop, entirely headless from the start. The only additional install was Maven, then I ran mvn clean package in the RuuviCollector repo folder, and then I ran ruuvicollector from the resultant target directory. Also note I used the latest install for Influx (1.8.2) but the 6.3.3 install for Grafana. I am getting data and am generally able to run everything, howeverā€¦

There is pretty severe latency, even for keyclicks at the prompt via ssh. I havenā€™t yet stopped the influxd and grafana services to see if it is related to them, but I do know the latency remains when ruuvicollector is not running. So itā€™s not ruuvicollector itself.

Anyone else running the 8GB version of the Pi4?

I am hoping for a full updated version of Ruuviberry that works on a Pi4 thou.. .

Hello,

Ruuvi Gateway fills the need for data collection, so weā€™re not planning to maintain the RuuviBerry image in the future. Itā€™s pretty straightforward to set up manually.