Ruuvi Station Android app feedback and feature requests

Hey guys!

Ruuvi Station Android app has been enhanced a lot recently and all those updates will be pushed soon to Google Play.

If you have feedback or feature requests, please use this thread.

Some of the ideas our todo list already has:

• When adding a new RuuviTag to Ruuvi Station, one option would be “Use phone’s internal sensors”. This would make it possible to try out the app before purchasing any physical RuuviTags
  • App Settings page would have a button “Calibrate all your RuuviTags to same levels”. This would remove possible offsets differences Bosch BME280 sensors have.
  • Add RuuviTags by touching them with your NFC enabled phone.

Hi Lauri,

I downloaded the app yesterday. It is really great for a quick-start. It also looks very nice, so kudos!

some low-hanging fruits that we could add are:

1. In the graph section, when I click on a datapoint, maybe display the exact X and Y values. I can zoom a lot on both axes to get a more precise measurement, but it isn’t very convenient and the X axis resolution doesn’t seem to go behind minutes.
  2. The possibility of downloading the graph data and send it somewhere would be great.

As for the calibration of multiple tags, I thought exactly the same thing. I just tested the temperature of the 3 tags and the coldest tag is 0.2 degrees colder than the warmest one. I guess this is compatible with the specs but when you buy 3 tags together it is really easy to see these differences and some nerdy users like myself may want to correct for that.

As for adding the ruuvi tags with the NFC, that sounds cool.
But a more basic thing is to make it easier to identify a physical tag (this may not be related to the Android app). On the back of a tag there is a FCC ID but the app displays a MAC ID, so to actually figure out which is which I had to hide 2 tags in the microwave and take one with me so that the strongest signal would tell me which one I had with me. Maybe there is already a straightforward way of getting the MAC ID, I just couldn’t figure it out.

1 Like

Hello,

You can read the MAC with NFC, just tap the tag with NFC-enabled Android phone. I’m not sure if iOS supports NFC reads yet

Why is “Location services” a requirement for RuuviStation?
It seems when I press no/cancel on the location-services dialog the BLE data still works and I get data from the ruuvitag.

GPS eats a lot of battery and there are many more reasons for not having location-services on all the time.
I suggest ruuviStation should at least have an option to turn the requirement for location-services OFF.

if it matterns I’m on a Samsung J5 with android 7.1.1 and ruuviStation 1.0.0.1

thanks,
Anders

Because Android requires it to be on in order to scan beacons… Google says:

Bluetooth permissions

In order to use Bluetooth features in your application, you must declare two permissions. The first of these is BLUETOOTH. You need this permission to perform any Bluetooth communication, such as requesting a connection, accepting a connection, and transferring data.

The other permission that you must declare is either ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION or ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION . A location permission is required because Bluetooth scans can be used to gather information about the location of the user. This information may come from the user’s own devices, as well as Bluetooth beacons in use at locations such as shops and transit facilities.

1. I don’t understand why this requirement exists? Who benefits, why?
  2. It’s not a real requrement, since choosing No/Cancel still shows RuuviStation listening to live new data??

Does IOS support ANY NFC interaction?

1. It’s to indicate that an application could acquire your location as it’s able to scan for Bluetooth devices.
  2. Technically it’s not a requirement, but Google requires it for being able to “warn” users about potential location tracking. It’s an optional permission to accept though, as you have noticed.