Ruuvi for commercial purposes using different protocol and back sticker/certifications

Hi
We would like to use/adopt/implement a different communication protocol (other than BLE) such as (base) 802.15.4 or even Nordic proprietary protocols, for commercial purposes (products).

According to your “RuuviTag - Can or Can’t?”, the statement:

“Use others than Nordic Semiconductor s132 v3.1.0a Bluetooth protocol stack or a totally different protocol, the Bluetooth declaration will not remain valid.”

applies.

So, it seems that ruuvi tags device continue to keep CE and FCC certifications but not the Bluetooth, of course, right?
(I any case, if required we can re-certificate it for CE and FCC if needed).

Now, what about the back sticker?

Can we cut the Bluetooth symbol and keep the rest of the sticker, and of course, keep the a hyperlink to https://ruuvi.com on the product case and/or website?

Should we remove the all sticker and re-certificate it for CE and FCC?

Please, highlight your conditions for this use case.

Thank you
Alex

Hello,

CE, FCC and ROHS would remain valid as far as I know, the RF test was done without BLE modulation https://github.com/ruuvi/certifications/blob/master/CE/RuuviTag%20Radio%20Test%20Report.pdf and therefore remains valid on different RF protocol. You should double-check the RF portion of test in any case.

@henri can discuss the labeling options in detail, we might be able to do custom labeling without the BLE symbol for your enclosures as well as flashing your firmware at factory, but it depends on volume and schedule.

We were thinking to flash them by ourselves on our lab. We already have lost of programmer boards bought from you. Is that possible?
As far as labeling is concerned, we would like to start by cutting the BLE symbol (if possible!) for the first dozen or twenty units (in order to listen to the maket acceptance) and after that order from you the final labels without BLE symbol. Is this Ok for you? If not, please, establish your strict rules for this.

Thank you
Alex

Hello,

Of course you can program the devices yourself, we only offer option to program the firmware at factory to ease your own process.

From Ruuvi’s point of view there is no problem if you cut off the Bluetooth logo. I’m not sure if it affects the other certifications, but since the modification was done by you the legal responsibility of modified devices shifts to you as far as I understand.

Practically no-one is going to be concerned about few dozens of devices having modified labeling to stay in spirit of the certifications, but let’s be sure to verify the legal side before going on to larger volumes. The international regulations can be quite complex to navigate sometimes, we’ll help you as much as we can but we’re not lawyers.

Deal!
We are going to “probe” the market with just a few nodes with BLE part cut off and then we will require from you the firmware programming and the final labeling without the Bluetooth part on bulk orders.

Thank you for all your flexibility!
Alex

Hi!
I am also interested in this subject so I would like to ask if in case of reprogramming the Ruuvi Tag with custom firmware for a different communication protocol (non-BLE) for commercial target, should we make the firmware open-source too or could we keep it closed?

Thanks.
Imo

Hello Imo,

You can program any firmware to RuuviTags and you do not have to share the source code with anyone. For example various mesh network protocols such as Wirepas and MiraMesh work like this on RuuviTags.

We can also program your firmware at the factory for large orders.