Pi Zero Ruuvi Gateway implementations

If you use the Android gateway, the app will restore it’s functionality automatically once the phone boots. No intervention is needed.

If you use the Raspberry Pi gateway, you need to edit the configs yourself to make it start at boot. But that basically means adding one line to the configs. I will write more Raspberry Pi configuration tips to our blog in the coming weeks.

By the way the IMP004m Gateway implementation will return to its working state after the power is restored due to the impCentral infrastructure. Also, I tested this.

Yes communig8 the Imp devices are good that way.
On the measurem app, do Icewood plan to use push notifications to phone as well as sms going forward ?

I’m not sure if I understood your question correctly. Both push notifications and SMS alerts are supported, as well as email. You can select the alert type yourself.

ok I understand. I guess push alerts and email are standard on all subscription packages.
3 sms per month for middle package sounds small …

We might experiment with other options for SMS. Such as buying SMS alerts separately. It’s just that they are pretty expensive to us (for example, one SMS to Finland is up to 0,16€ each). For some other countries, it’s even more.

So we could make Zero W + official Pi Foundation casing available on Ruuvi Shop.

Im in for that.

IMP004m based RuuviTag Gateway now mounted in a box…

open

Hello everybody,

Has anyone checked Pycom modules? Any thoughts?

Pycom has a script that detects Ruuvitags in the surroundings

I wonder if someone could point out a process for the Ruuvitags to login individually to e.g. AWS or IBM Cloud through the above script?

Thank you.

Hi Cirobr,

The Pycom modules do seem promising and have some awesome development behind them, the only issue you may find is that they are based on an ESP32 module with a shared antenna between WiFi and BLE this may cause issue on performance as it does on standard ESP32 dev boards.

In regards to your question about connecting the tags to AWS for example, this is not possible with this script. To connect to AWS look into MQTT and how you could use this to send data to them. The script you mentioned would be used to collect the ruuvi tag data and then it would be sent via MQTT.

You could also look into Particle boards, almost the same as a PYCOM board but doesn’t use the integrated BLE instead replaces it with a nRF52840 with the ability to connect an external antenna to both WiFi and BLE.

Hi Anthony, thanks for feedback and insights. Will definitely take a look at Particle boards/Nordic chipset.

In fact I already did that, and it works smoothly. Problem is that Cloud Service misinterprets the data received as being generated by a single device, therefore further logic is needed as to segregate the data each sensor is actually sending. I wanted to avoid such logic by just logging in each sensor individually.