Official Ruuvi App: Weather Station

This wasnā€™t an issue at day one. Iā€™m not 100% sure when this started but it can be after trying ruuvi in sauna (below 70C with HR battery). All leds are off after freezing.

New test

1. https://ruu.vi/#AjAYAM3c
    battery off and on
  2. https://ruu.vi/#ApgWAEqc
    10 sec wait
  3. https://ruu.vi/#AjQZAM3c

I canā€™t trust readings at all

Hi,

We will send a new RuuviTag to you and instructions how to return old one free of charge. We will then analyze what is the root cause for this kind of behavior (software or hardware issue).

-Henri

1 Like

Hi, i used my ruuvitag as a weather station for a few days now. Itā€™s working great!
But i already have some questions/suggestions:

• Create an optional mode where the numbers are displayed directly without the link. (eg: 27C/66%/987hPa, should be possible with URL-characters)
  • How can i boost the signal? It currently sends only with -18dbm. I want to give everybody in my dorm the chance to see it. -> +4dBm and only 2-3s interval to save the additional power?

I tried to upload the eddystone beacon, put tx_power to maximum and reload the weather station, but it overwrites the config. Also in the githup(weather station) i couldnā€™t find the variable tx_power as defined in the nordic datasheet!?

Iā€™m just starting in programming controllers other than arduino, so probably i just didnā€™t search rightā€¦

• Christian

Hello,

Create an optional mode where the numbers are displayed directly without the link. (eg: 27C/66%/987hPa, should be possible with URL-characters)

Weā€™re working on a ā€œsensortagā€ mode where the resolution of measurements is higher and updates more frequent. We donā€™t want to use a resolvable URL in that mode, as Android Nearby notifications become incredibly spammy if the URL updates every few seconds. We want to also fit accelerometer data in the sensortag mode, and it will probably require an app or web-bluetooth site to keep track of acceleration data.

How can i boost the signal? It currently sends only with -18dbm. I want to give everybody in my dorm the chance to see it. ā†’ +4dBm and only 2-3s interval to save the additional power?

You can configure bluetooth settings at ruuvitag_b3/s132/config/bluetooth_config.h file. TX power is already +4dBm, -18 is probably the signal strength your phone receives.

Website now shows the temperature in fahrenheit, thanks @jasoncoon for the contribution!

1 Like

Hi,

Is there an easy way to get the sensor data into Node-Red, I want to put a RuuviTag in each room of my house and log the Temp and Humidity so it can be used for controlling the heating etc? Ideally the transmit time of the data should be adjustable as I only need as a maximum data every 1 minute.

Currently I can see the Tag and the web address/RSSI etc is visible but not the sensor readings.

Cheers

1 Like

Have you managed to have each tag transmit a different and unique name so you can identify which data relates to which tag?

All the devices have their own MAC address. Using nRF Connect app or almost any beacon scanner you can easily identify which data is related to which RuuviTag.

-34dBm is a really strong signal but -91dBm is not. -91dBm is therefore more far away (outside in this case):

2 Likes

Why canā€™t the name be user set, in plain language and displayed on the webpage?
So if you have ten tags in ten different locations you want to know which one is being displayed without decoding the MAC address.

1 Like

To answer your question ā€œwhyā€: Because at this moment the weather station example is broadcasting only.

We are adding more features in the future. You are also welcome to contribute the SW projects.

So if the tag is broadcasting the UID and the second part is user programmable wouldnā€™t it be sensible to let the user add his own identity code to the ā€˜Instanceā€™ when he uploads fo the tag.

At the moment if two tags are broadcasting and in range the user canā€™t tell which one he is looking at in the browser and without manually decoding the MAC address through some other app.

Hang on.
That image/example shows just two tags, one near and one far and if there are ten or twenty tags all within BLE range clearly itā€™s impossible to tell which is which.
Have you thought fhis through at all?

We have. At the moment the Weather Station is a simple application which is broadcasting sensor data in a URL address. And like I just said, it is about to get more features.

If you have many Tags you would like to read at the same time, you should consider setting up a gateway by following, for example, some of these tutorials.

Why would I want to complicate the whole project with a Wifi gatewy when all it needs is being able to program each tag to return a name in plain language that is something relevant to the application of the tags?

The tag currently returns Ruuvitag so why not Cold Room or whatever?

This is just a question of changing the instance part of the Eddystone UUID.

The Eddystone UID data has Namespace e.g 8b0ca750095477cb3e77 and Instance (e.g. 123456789abc) parts. The Namespace is intended to uniquely identify your company and the Instance identifies the beacon within your company. The Eddystone spec recommends you create the Namespace from either a SHA-1 hash of a fully-qualified (internet) domain name that you own or an elided (iBeacon) UUID.

For the SHA-1 option convert your domain name, without www, with an online tool such as the one at Waraxe IT Security and use the first 20 characters as the Namespace.

The other method is well described by Google:

ā€œGenerate a version 4 UUID then remove bytes 5 - 10 (inclusive). For example: from this UUID: 8b0ca750-e7a7-4e14-bd99-095477cb3e77 remove these bytes: e7a7-4e14-bd99. This produces the following namespace: 8b0ca750095477cb3e77.ā€

You will get a different Namespace either way and thatā€™s intentional/expected.

The 6-byte instance (12 hex digits) value is up to however you choose to
define, based on your places and areas within places.

Unquoye

It would be possible to send unique Eddystone UIDs from tags - in fact you can do this already in the Eddystone application.

However, you cannot send any plain text string as Eddystone UID, since youā€™re limited to 0 ā€¦9 and A ā€¦ F.

It is possible to tie Eddystone UIDs to real-world events with various applications, you can for example check out Proximi.IO. To get the sensor data combined with the Eddystone UID some software work would be required.

Weā€™re working on bringing more features to the Tag, however it will take a while before we have user-configurable name for the tag. In the meanwhile, you can check out one of the projects for processing the sensor data in Android or Raspberry Pi.

I just want to be able to identify which tag I am reading when more than one is being received.

As I read it, the ā€˜instanceā€™ part of the UID, is expressly set aside as a unique user programmable identifier for the actual tag using the characters permitted, just as the unique first part is user set to identify the company or organisation.

Read the first and last paragraphs above again.

I think that it would be fine, if there were simple instructions to modify the weather station page and instructions to upload it then into ruuvitag. I think that it is what most of us need. Thanks for great product.

So how do I know which of these two Weather Station beacons is which?

Hi Motobiman,
I guess you made your point out already with several messages with same info and there has been several answers to your questions. Ruuvi team is currently working on bringing more features and ready-made software. This is an open source project where Ruuvi provides a platform and all users are are welcome to contribute on software development.

So, please be most welcome to contribute our fast growing development community and your requested feature might be working soon :slight_smile:

Heh thanks.
Not aware any responses were answers, certainly not solutions.
It would work OK for me if we could just change the local name of the device.