Doubt about debug/release version

Hi
I have been trying to change firmware and burn it on ruuvi tag using DFU / android phone with nRF Connect. Everything is working well.

My doubt is: When I compile zip file in order to burn it on ruuvi tag I am using this command:

nrfutil pkg generate --debug-mode --hw-version 52 --sd-req 0x91 --application-version 1 --application _build/ruuvi_firmware.hex --key-file ~/ruuvitag_fw/keys/ruuvi_open_private.pem ruuvi_firmware_v3_dfu.zip

the zip is created but a warning appear saying that this dfu only works in a debug bootloader. As the firmware runs well in the tag, does that nmeans that bootloader is in debug mode?

Is there a release mode bootloader?

I used this package to install bootloader:

https://github.com/ruuvi/ruuvitag_fw/releases/download/1.3.6.1/ruuvi_firmware_full_1.2.12.hex

Now I want to enter in production stage hence it seems that I need to use release version, right?

Thank you
Alex

Hello,

The reasoning for using debug bootloader dates back to kickstarter times when we assumed that people would mostly build their own firmware for RuuviTags and Ruuvi Firmware was just an example to demo the sensors. We wanted to make it as seamless as possible to upload anything on the tags. In retrospect production bootloader would have been a better choice.

If you’re doing your own binaries using a production bootloader is a good idea, consider to creating your own keypair to bootloader and enabling readback protection to secure the firmware.

Ok, understood.
Thank you