Collecting RuuviTag measurements and displaying them with Grafana

Technically speaking fully-automatic live-backup-replication is not a backup at all (same reason why RAID is not a backup), so in that sense it makes sense to store the data in parallel, rather than replicating it forwards like a chain. It is actually on my long-term roadmap to support multiple simultaneous database/storage types, so I may as well adjust that a bit and support ambiguous database/storage types (ie. multiple InfluxDB) to support this use-case as well :thinking:

Iā€™ll bump this feature forwards on my todo-list a little bit, but I donā€™t want to give any promises yet on when this will be done

2 Likes

had to install this image again on a new card. Now I cannot find a/the guide on how to remove the bridge br0 and enable wlan0 with a static IP.I need to have the rb pi connected to my wifi at home.

Can some one please link to a complete guide or just tell me the steps.

/Andreā€™

Hello, the steps are at https://blog.ruuvi.com/rpi-gateway-6e4a5b676510

but how do I remove the br0 and wlan0 ruuviGW?

I donā€™t want/need anything else than just a simple wifi connection from ti PI to my router.

/Andreā€™

Hello, I though you had it already done.

Anyway, it might be easiest to follow the above steps to setup the Raspberry Pi, it takes something like 15-30 minutes and you get the updates to software while you set it up.

Hi,

This is a great project and ruuvi collector seems to be ā€œtheā€ implementation for parsing ruuvitag data.

I would love to see the data parsing part separated and published more widely, e.g. in maven central. This would facilitiate easier reuse of the parsing part in other java projects.

In fact, Iā€™m thinking of implementing small openHAB bluetooth addon for reading ruuvitags based on the excellent you have done here.

@Scrin any thoughts on this?

Best
Sami

I have actually been considering this, but havenā€™t done it yet as the ruuvitag-sensor python library is usually the choice for custom implementations while the main goal for RuuviCollector is being a ā€œfull softwareā€ to glue the gap between RuuviTags and InfluxDB (and other databases in the future).

Though if thereā€™s interest in having a similar library for Java, I may reconsider separating the pieces into a library and publish to maven central or something.

thanks for the swift reply!

I would definitely be interested in such a library. There is already an openHAB implementation for blukii sensors (github) which looks pretty similar the way the ruuvitags work.

With openHAB I think we would cover ā€œnative supportā€ (no mqtt or other additional software needed) for the common open source home automation solutions (other one being home assistant of course)?

Naturally you have used a liberal license so forking and/or incorporating the code in openHAB code base would be possible for me (within the limits set by the license). But instead I would like to have common library for the parsing, and reuse that for other projects. Contributions for new formats etc. would be handled in one open source projectā€¦

A common library would definitely be the way to go here then, added it to my todo-list. :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know how much you have looked at the RuuviCollector sources, but I was thinking about refactoring (and renaming) so that there would be an ā€œextra layerā€ between the HCIData output from HCIParser and the actual DataFormat parsers (implementations of BeaconHandler, to be renamed to RuuvitagParser or something?) so that the parsers would just receive the raw payload (ie. the eddystone packet which includes the eddystone url, or the raw manufacturer specific data used by the RAW data formats) as a byte[] data array.

This extra layer would then be RuuviCollector specific and contain the HCIData to data[] mapping as well as the shouldUpdate() logic currently present in the parsing classes (that logic shouldnā€™t even be there in the first placeā€¦)

That way the common library would offer parsers that simply accept a byte array as a parameter and produce a RuuviMeasurement object as output. Any comments? (anyone else may comment as well, of course)

I donā€™t think it would make sense to include the HCIParser itself in the library, especially considering Iā€™m working on getting rid of the hcitool and hcidump dependencies as theyā€™re getting deprecated due to the lack of maintainers.

Itā€™ll be probably late next week or something before I have time to get all this done, especially since I need to figure out the necessary requirements and steps for publishing libraries to eg. maven central.

Excellent and thank you already in advance!

Looked at the code and I understand what you mean. Agree that this separation would indeed make the code cleaner as well as more testable.

Let me know if I can help in any way, review the code or similar. When you have separated parsers from the rest, let me know and I can have a look.

Btw, it might be that the maven central part is actually not so important for me personally since I probably have to distribute the parser .jar inside the openHAB/eclipse smarthome code base (maven <dependencies> are not used there for whatever OSGI/setup reason).

Best,
Sami

Yeah now that I think about it probably the first step is to simply copy/refactor the code out into another repository as a ā€œpre-release versionā€, then do the cleanup/documentation, write tests, etc. to eventually make it a ā€œclean 1.0 versionā€ of the library, and once all that is done then publish it to maven central or so and only then refactor RuuviCollector to use the library.

Slightly more work (and duplicate code while working on it) to do it in ā€œindividual steps over timeā€ like this, but on the other hand it makes the library usable earlier on before the ā€œstable 1.0 releaseā€ is ready and published to maven central. I might actually have time to do the ā€œfirst stepā€ during this weekend, if so Iā€™ll let you know so you (or anyone else) can review, comment and/or contribute.

1 Like

Alright I created the repository now: https://github.com/Scrin/ruuvitag-common-java/ and did some light and untested (well, I tested that the code compiles but nothing more :stuck_out_tongue: ) refactoring and basically set up the base foundation for the library. In theory it might actually already work as it is, but thereā€™s still much to do. Comments, suggestions and contributions are more than welcome (here on the forums, Ruuvi slack, or on Github)

2 Likes

trying to join in this discussion.

Awesome! Will have a look as soon as I have a moment. Can contribute some testsā€¦

@Scrin, thanks for this!

Just wanted to update: it seems to work in real life as well ā€“ got this hooked up to openHAB.

Would appreciate if you can make a release so I would not have to use a snapshot version.

Sorry for the delay, Iā€™ve been way too busy lately. I have now released the current version as 1.0.0 :slight_smile:

1 Like

All but given up on this.
Clearly its beyond my level of competence as the link to the raspberrypi website, here:

has several options I cant follow; I am not using a cable and whilst I can see the RuuviGW network but cant connect to and have no wif networks detected on the Rpi GUI, so I end up with no connection on the router.
Its the Rpi instructions I find difficult and obciouslly some of the changes have already been made but some are still needed, static ip addressing etc, so would it be possible for someone to clarify what specific changes to the Rpi are needed?
Thanks in advance

Hi. I donā€™t seem to be able to get any data to show on Grafana. The InfluxDB is on, RuuviCollector is on and listening. HCItool lescan gives Input/Output error which it didnā€™t give before I rebooted the machine. I tried to reset it with hciconfig hci0 reset, which worked yesterday in this same error but now it doesnā€™t. I made the image/built according to https://blog.ruuvi.com/rpi-gateway-6e4a5b676510 . I also tried with the latest Ruuviberry image I could find, but that also had somewhat similar problems.

I tried to fix the hcitool error with restarting bluetooth and dbus but the system went on to some weird limbo and I had to unplug the machine for it to work. Iā€™m kind of in a dead end and would appreciate if anyone is able to suggest something.

Best,
Pasi

Have you tried selecting a specific value inside field(value)? For example field(temperature).

Iā€™m using ruuviberry image ā€œ2018_05_minimalā€, where I have updated Grafana from 5.0.4 to 5.4.3 and InfluxDB from 1.5.2 to 1.7.4 manually.

How can I show in Grafana pressure difference between two different tags?