Cannot configure Gateway

I’m not sure how anyone can configure the Gateway. The clever hijacking of the authentication screen only appears to be visible to me if I join the WiFi network, as the local IP address is not published to station.ruuvi.com even though my sensor data is visible (because a DHCP server has generated an IP address).

When I try to join a local SSID (WPA2/3) the Gateway complains that my password is incorrect (triple checked).
If I try to officially join a DHCP/ethernet network, the Next button, once clicked, goes gray and no further interaction over WiFi is possible.

If I wanted to use the Ruuvi web portal, that would be fine, but we’d like to use MQTT and pickup the data inside our LAN instead. Configuring that is not currently possible at all for us.

I tried to ask via support@ruuvi.com but was directed here.

Cheers,
greg

It was suggested that I upgrade the gateway firmware, however, this is not possible unless the configuration process works first, I presume?

Hello,

The Gateway will run automatic updates to the latest version, but the updates are currently waiting for the end of beta-testing period. If nothing critical comes up, all gateways will get update on Monday 31.1.

The Gateway should be configurable over Gateway hotspot in any case. You can press and hold the button under USB power supply with a toothpick for 10 seconds to run a factory reset. Gateway hotspot password is “12345678”. Please be sure to turn off any VPN in your computer/phone.

MQTT has had updates since v1.8.X which shipped initially, so it is a good idea to update to at least v1.9.2 (latest release) or to v1.10.0 (latest, beta).

Please let me know if you cannot configure the Gateway over Gateway hotspot after factory reset.

How was the grayed out Connect issue solved? I want to use the default and not assign IP but can’t get pass this part…
The LAN is blinking yellow fast and green permanent. he USB LED is blinking red (now) but I can connect to it with WIFI after resetting.

Hi @motj,
I don’t quite understand what the problem is, could you explain in more detail?
As far as I understand, you connected Ethernet and configured the Gateway to use default network settings (DHCP mode). Judging by the blinking yellow and permanent green LEDs, the gateway is connected to Ethernet. But blinking red LED, means that the gateway failed to send data.
There may be several reasons for this malfunction:

1. Bad Ethernet cable
  2. Gateway didn’t receive IP address from DHCP server
  3. ISP router doesn’t allow to synchronize time from one of the time servers
  4. ISP router doesn’t allow establishing a HTTPS connection with Ruuvi cloud

Did you try to connect the Gateway to Wi-Fi?
If possible, could you connect Gateway to a computer via USB and save the logs output to the virtual COM-port? It would help a lot to find out what the problem is.

1 Like

Alexey,
You are probably right with one or more of point 2-4.
I’m trying this on a corporate network behind firewalls and with many restrictions. I’ll work with my network admins to figure it out. If nothing works we might put up a 4G modem to get a direct line out.
At first I tried wifi but passwords were not accepted. Even when I tried a shared network from iPhone…

@motj please check that your firewall allows NTP for one of the following time servers: time.google.com, time.cloudflare.com, time.nist.gov, pool.ntp.org
or try specifying your own time server: Time Synchronisation Options - docs