WANTED: Implementing a Hall sensor into Ruuvi FW

Buttons - Espruino should be ok for getting started, on open drain hall sensors it’s equivalent to 0 V connection.

We’re also aiming to add a Hall sensor to RuuviTag at the same time with the Ruuvi Connector, but this isn’t 100 % certain before the PCB is tested and schedule of new revision is open.

@otso keeping inside the existing enclosure is important ( we need the one tag be mulifunction) just add magnet for door/window application. - happy to try options but sooner than later!!

Could you explain please how do you plan to integrate the Hall sensor? Would it be on board the Tag, or it require the Connector board with external power supply? Should this be working “out of box” or some DIY is needed?

If the Hall sensors fits in board, it will be out of box. In meanwhile, some DIYing is needed, on current tags the Hall needs to be soldered on the pins on the bottom of board and firmware needs to be adjusted for Hall.

@otso Im considering to make a small flex pcb to carry the hall sensor, cap, pull resistor, with larger pads for easier soldering, a ribbon type flex could bend 90 degree inside stock enclosure making ideal positioning with magnets. However im no engineer / designer, appreciate layout suggestions !!

@lauri ^
Lauri is the HW guru :slight_smile:

You could make a simple flex cable that could be soldered on bottom of the RuuviTag PCB. If, let’s say, you would need connections to the pins 15, 16 and 22:

Note: Check the latest RuuviTag KiCad project files to properly match your design on the desired design.

1 Like

what happened to Hall sensor support?

I want to build a ruuvi-based flow sensor based on these devices:

I have a prototype running with a second hall sensor mounted in quadrature which fixes some counting reliability issues, but the stock sensors draw some 3mA idle and that’s too much for battery ops

I’ve ordered some TLV493D sensors as these are low-power but before rolling my own I am happy to switch to some other device which has support out of the box

thanks!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately official support for this has not been added and it’s currently not on the roadmap for the imminent future.

Seeing that you are at the prototype stage, I would encourage you to go forward with your own implementation at this point.

Kind regards,
Marko

ok, I did a prototype sensor with an ESP32: GitHub - mhaberler/flowsensor

it turns out that the pulse rate on the sensor can be quite high

in quadrature mode, I see rates beyond 1500 counts/second
now this works fine with the semi-analog Hall sensors as delivered

this would suggest an I2C based scheme with the TLV493D sensors mentioned above is just way too slow - like two orders of magnitude

as for Ruuvis, I assume the nRF has counter registers which can run in quadrature mode so this part could be low power

but the current drain of the stock Hall sensors does not go away :-/

just thinking aloud here in case anybody plans something similar

Michael

1 Like