RuuviTag fixing with magnet?

Hello,
Is there any issues if I attach a strong magnet with double-sided tape on the back side of the Tag?
-Jugi-

1 Like

Hello,

I think it should be ok, but I’m not 100% sure about the accelerometer readings as it’s a microelectromechanical device. I might have some neodymium magnets in the lab, I’ll check it out.

Seems to work just fine, even without any tape. The magnet grabs on battery through the enclosure. Magnet is K&J Magnetics RX082

1 Like

Ok, thanks for prompt answer! I think I’ll leave the tape out as it seems to work also without it…
-Jugi-

Let us know how it works for you :slight_smile:

Using it with a strong ring-shape neodyme magnet. Works normally. Thansk.

-Jugi-

1 Like

I have a tag riding along my robot mower. Initially I attached it using a 3M magnet strip (which is not too strong at all). I was wondering why I couldn’t read the tag from more than a few meters away. Switched to velcro for attaching the tag and the range tripled. So at least in my use case, the magnet strip significantly interfered with the BLE transmission.

I think it likely that the robot mower’s motor causes most of the interference and the magnet strip was just the final straw that disrupted the signal too much. Still, it works with velcro, did not work with a magnet.

1 Like