New project: External Ruuvi sensor boards

I like the ideas. Can we get a 3.5 mm jack for using it with an IR Blaster cable / Current Transformer for ac current measurements ? If not then how about an IR Blaster with ~4 IR transmitters and 1 IR receiver?

What about cases for all these sensors? Both the IR and VOC would need a special case to not block the signal and to allow enough air flow.

Thanks,
Jorge

The sensor board will be wired externally outside the case, naturally this will mean that the external sensor board won’t have the IP67 rating of Ruuvi enclosure.

Idea is to make the sensor boards easy enough for anyone to make their own, maybe we should make one variant which has the connectors and 0.1" through holes for easy prototyping (@lauri)

2 Likes

interesting idea. I’d like to try to measure a higher temperature (around 200 ° C) using a two-wire platinum sensor PT100 / 1000. the required accuracy is not great 5-10° C. do you think it really works?

Hello,

PT100/1000 -sensors are resistive and quite expensive. It’s easier to measure thermocouple voltage directly with ADC and I’d think that temperature range and accuracy you’re looking for could be reached

Hi lauri!
Very helpful would be
a CO2 - sensor (for example SCD30 or its successor, or K30 (high precision, but ext. power required), or CozIR LP2
and
a O2 Sensor (like Alphasense LFO2-A4 or Membrapor M100) via LMP91000 or NJU9101 /I2C)
Would make the Ruuvi to a perfect HVAC control unit and more…

Voltage and Current for my caravan battery

But voltage also opens a range of analog sensors

2 Likes

1-wire temp sensors and 1-wire addressable switches for sure. The switches can turn on actuators for closed loop control!

Is Ruuviconnector available for Ruuvitags?

On the next circuit board revision, yes. We’re currently testing the board and it’s projected to be mass produced starting from the H2 2021.

1 Like

Cool to know that extension interface is planned for further ruuvi tags. Will there also be some default sensors available for prototyping/testing? Or will it be a connector interface to Groove or Adafruit boards?

Ruuvi Connector will be soon available on RuuviTag Pro:

And also on the Gateway:

Temperature sensor will be our first external sensor, it’s already prototyping and it’ll be available later. It’s built using Texas Instruments TMP117 high accuracy sensor that offers unbelievable ±0,1C absolute accuracy. It can measure air temperature and it’s designed to be attached also to various surfaces (pipes, etc). This is the chip:

https://www.ti.com/product/TMP117

Photo of the Ruuvi temperature sensor board:

3 Likes

Thanks for your fast response. That sounds great! Awaiting to get some in our hands when they are ready (Pro and External Sensor) :wink:

I would love to use the TMP117 setup shown above to replace these legacy sensors:

minimum cable length box/sensor would be some 15cm so seems compatible with cables here

usage environment can be rough

any thoughts on ruggedizing your sensor against humidity/occasional rain and occasional harsh treatment?

• Michael

the sensors show in the image are hot air balloon temperature sensors, mounted near top of envelope - box outside with a velcro, sensor sticks inside envelope through a 1cm hole:

TT34 Wireless Envelope Temperature Sensor | Paragliding Equipment (€500)

DBI3 | Store (€200)

Assume I use the pro tag with an external TMP117 sensor

what happens to the reports of the internal TMP117? would the external sensor get precedence, or will both be reported?

I’d like to try this configuration with a stock ruuvi B tag - I already have a TMP117 breakout board

how should I go about it in terms of firmware?

1 Like

Extenal power connector. Plan to use solar panel for forever measurement device. If water tight, even better. Also it would be useful if pads would be already soldered with pins, then trying different sensors would be easy

1 Like

Fugit185 are you aware of the http://mybeacons.info/b_TestPoints.html
This is not B8 but I would expect them to be the same.

thanks for sharing

+1 for air quality and/or gas sensors:

• CO - especially useful for monitoring around generators, gas heaters, etc. that produce CO
  • O2/CO2 - tons of applications, from office conference rooms to automobile cabins to inside the home

How to calibrate RT sensors, when they are in sealed box? Original RT has this semipermeable membrane, in order to allow pressure and others, to come to senors?
I’m planning to make remote weather station with solar panel charging.

You can buy semipermeable membrane and add to your enclosure, Somebody at Ruuvi talked about it in a different post.

Found it:
henriStaff

Feb '18

It seems birds like RuuviTag sticker :smile:
It’s not so easy to find this kind of membrane but you can contact sales@ruuvi.com and we can figure out the problem.
"