Ruuvi Tag not recognized as iBeacon

Iā€™ve tried the weather app and it worked instantly. The completed product also feels very nice! Congrats on all your hard work!

On your website thereā€™s a statement that says: ā€œThe device can act as a standard Eddystoneā„¢ / iBeacon proximity beacon, but it has potential to be so much more.ā€
I have an app called Tour (on iOS) which is capable to recognize iBeacons in order to start tracking business car trips. Unfortunately the app doesnā€™t seem to properly recognize the Ruuvi Tag as iBeacon.
So Iā€™m wondering, does the default weather app firmware support the iBeacon protocol or do I have to use a different firmware. And if so, which one.

Thank you very much for your help.

Nice to hear RuuviTag worked out of the box!

The Weather Station firmware uses Eddystone beacon protocol, not iBeacon. Check the documentation for more info: https://ruu.vi/setup

Actually, we didnā€™t yet release tools for easy iBeacon configuration. Itā€™s an upcoming feature.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the quick response.
Is there any approximate date for iBeacon support?

Depends on your use case, ā€œQuick ā€˜nā€™ Dirtyā€ can be done quickly by having random UUIDs. If you need a configuration service or a specific major UUID and continuous minor UUIDs please PM me.

I think distributing iBeacon firmware requires license from Apple, @lauri do we have a valid license?

Hi,

Any update on the iBeacon support? Iā€™m looking at how I can put my own UUID for iBeacon

Chris

Hello,

Fastest way to configure your own IBeacon UUID would be to use the Espruino-package kindly provided by Espruino project.

You can install Espruino using either package on Espruino website or on ruu.vi/setup .

The IBeacon example runs as is on RuuviTag.
Please ask any questions related to Espruino on RuuviTag on our forum, as it helps all RuuviTag users to find the topic.

Hi @otso,

Thanks for the link. Itā€™s all working perfectly.
Note for anyone else reading: Donā€™t forget to disconnect the Espruino IDE otherwise the tag wonā€™t start transmitting :slight_smile:

Ticklos

Hi!

Can you use Ruuvi as Eddystone and iBeacon simultaneously ?

Should be no problem with Espruino. But I donā€™t have script to share. Check also their forum:

http://forum.espruino.com/

Yes, you can by using NRF.setAdvertising directly and passing an array of services to activate.

var iBeaconConfig = {
    uuid : [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0], // ibeacon uuid
    major : 0x0001, // optional
    minor : 0x0001, // optional
    rssi : -59 // optional RSSI at 1 meter distance in dBm
}
var eddystoneURL = "yoururl.com/path"

NRF.setAdvertising([
    require("ble_ibeacon").get(iBeaconConfig),
    require("ble_eddystone").get(eddystoneURL)
], {interval:100});

For some reason, at first the ble_ibeacon module didnā€™t work for me, but now it does. Tested with the latest ā€œbleeding edgeā€ release from 2017-11-03 of Espruino.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Many thanks for quick hint! I will give it a try.